Prep Time 2 min
Cook Time 44 min
Total Time 46 min
Haricot Verts with Almonds
This is a classic dish that is also quick, easy and healthy.
Haricots verts are a thin variety of green beans. Regular green beans will work too, they just might need to boil 1-2 minutes longer.
For a dairy free dish, omit the butter.
Created by: Emily Wilson
Tags: French, Vegetables, Nuts, Dinner Party, Healthy, Brunch, Side Dish, Romantic, Weeknight, Easy, Quick & Easy, Kid Friendly, Dairy
- Prep & Cook
- Add to Groceries
Almonds, Raw and Sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dairy & Eggs
Dry Goods & Packaged Goods
Spice & Baking
Condiments, Oils & Dressings
2 Stove Top
1 Heat-Proof Bowl, Large
1 Pot, Large (4-6 QT)
1 Saute Pan, Large
- Cut the stem ends off the haricots verts.
- Fill a large pot 2/3 high with water and cover. Place over high heat. Proceed with next step as water comes to a boil.
- Prepare a plate with layers of paper towels. Set the plate near the sink to dry the haricots verts.
- Fill a large heat-proof bowl with ice water and set it near the sink to shock the haricots verts.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Once pan is warm, add the sliced almonds and toast until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Keep a close watch and shake the pan often to prevent burning.
- Once the water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the trimmed haricots verts. Boil until tender, but with a slight bite, about 5-7 minutes. Strain and immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water.
- Let the haricots verts cool thoroughly in the ice water, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the chilled haricots verts from the ice water. Remove any pieces of ice. Transfer to the plate lined with paper towels and dry thoroughly.
- Place the almond pan back over medium heat. Add olive oil and warm.
- Once oil is warm, add the haricots verts. Season with salt and pepper. Add the butter and toasted almond. Toss to combine as the butter melts. Cook for 2-3 minutes to heat through, then remove from heat.
- Transfer the haricots verts to a serving platter or dinner plates. Ready to eat!