Prep Time 14 min
Cook Time 21 min
Total Time 35 min
Sweet Potato Hash
This is a great, tasty dish with satisfying, savory flavors.
Leave out the butter for a more healthful alternative.
Created by: Emily Wilson
Tags: American, Vegetables, Dinner Party, Healthy, Quick & Easy, Easy, Southern, Side Dish, Onion, Weeknight, Kid Friendly
- Prep & Cook
- Add to Groceries
Sweet Potato, Large
Butter, Unsalted, Optional
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dairy & Eggs
Spice & Baking
Condiments, Oils & Dressings
1 Stove Top
1 Mixing Bowl, Medium
1 Saute Pan, Large
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Peel parsnips and cut into a 1/4 inch dice. Add to the sweet potatoes.
- Cut an onion into 1/4 inch dice to measure the indicated amount.
- Pick thyme leaves off the stems and finely chop to measure the indicated amount.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and warm.
- Once oil is hot, add the onion and cook until slightly caramelized.
- Add parsnips, sweet potatoes and chopped thyme to the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes and parsnips are softened and caramelized, about 8-12 minutes. Stir often.
- Once potatoes and parsnips are caramelized, add the butter. Toss to coat as the butter melts. Remove pan from heat and cover loosely with foil.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving dish or dinner plates. Serve warm.